Happy New Year!
People tend to start the New Year with the best intentions to do something about their weight, fitness, work-life balance and then the pressures of returning to work distract them. There continues to be a good deal of negativity around the UK economy with some professional firms dependent on public sector work anticipating that this will soon dry up. There continues to be a limited supply of quality work with too many good professionals chasing it.
When we focus on what we are good at and enjoy, we develop our skills and confidence. If we spend our days working with people who undermine and criticise us, we will struggle to remember why we chose this profession.
So it is important to think about what is important to us and what we want to achieve in the long term. January is the time to develop a Personal Action Plan. This will allow you to:-
- play to your strengths in your current role,
- cope better with the areas of your job that do not focus on what you enjoy doing,
- develop the areas that you feel you need more help with,
- tackle clients or colleagues you seem to clash with, and/or
- identify where you want to go with your long-term career.